Are Dental Implants Right For Me?
Advances in technology have made it possible for almost anyone to be a candidate for dental implants. Missing teeth can be embarrassing and can make it hard to speak clearly or eat the foods you love. The old solutions to missing teeth were dentures, bridges, and crowns but these solutions provide only short-term results and can be difficult to maintain.
Dental implants are a comfortable, natural-looking alternative to natural teeth. Implants not only preserve the bone tissue, they also act and look like natural teeth – allowing you to eat and speak clearly. They can be used to replace one or many missing teeth.
During your dental implant consultation, the doctor will evaluate your mouth and determine the best possible dental implant procedure to meet your needs. Implants are a viable option for most patients and have even been performed on patients with diabetes, cancer, and heart disease.
Patients who have any of the following conditions will need to discuss their options with the dentist:
- Existing Dental Work – Implants can either reinforce or replace existing dental work such as bridges or dentures.
- Bone Loss – As long as there is enough bone tissue in the area, dental implants may still be successful. If there is not enough bone, bone-grafting procedures may be required before an implant can be placed.
- Existing Medical Conditions – Discuss any medications or existing medical conditions with your doctor. Generally, if you can have typical dental work done, then you can undergo the dental implant procedure.
- Gum Disease – Gum disease can affect the success of a dental implant. Patients with moderate to severe gum disease may require treatment prior to implant placement.
- Smoking Habit – Discuss how often you smoke with your doctor. Smoking can affect the success of the implant as well as your overall dental health.
To schedule a consultation or learn more about dental implants, please contact us at our Concord, MA office today!